Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Van Nuys South specializes on fire cleanup caused from wildfires like the recent Woolsey Fire to local kitchen fires. Our process will make the damage to your home "Like it never even happened." by removing the smoke damage and residual smells from your home. Our highly trained technicians methodical approach helps make our customers feel safe and secure during the cleaning process. Because of our experience in smoke and fire damage we can get you back in the comfort in your own home in a very short period of time. Our goal is to get you back home and back to your normal routine.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (818) 780-7111
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.