Make Sure Your Winter Is Safe From Fires | SERVPRO® of Van Nuys South
No matter the season, keeping fire safety in focus is something that we always recommend—but during the long nights of winter, it is extra important. Winter sees the most fires out of any season according to the Red Cross, and though we do not receive a deep winter freeze in Van Nuys, it is still something to be aware of.
More people cook and bake in the winter, which is always the leading cause of household fires starting. Additionally, when things do turn chilly, using a space heater is a common way to warm up the home—and as the winter holidays approach, this can be compounded with the use of decorations that lead to electrical concerns. It is wise to be aware of the possible risks so you can keep fire safety at the forefront of your entire winter season.
Staying Fire-Safe as the Holidays Approach
Keep safe when cooking. Cooking large meals and undertaking delicious baking projects is a great way to celebrate the season, but kitchen incidents do cause the majority of house fires both during winter and year-round. Implementing safety in the kitchen is a wise thing to focus on, which can include purchasing a fire extinguisher, keeping flammable items away from the oven and stove and never leaving the room while cooking is in process.
Heat the house with proper precautions. When things turn chilly in the evening, many people will find themselves reaching for a space heater to provide some auxiliary heat in the home. This can be done safely if proper precautions are taken, but otherwise, it can be dangerous. Be sure your space heater model has safety features to address tip-over and overheating hazards, and never use it near anything flammable or while you will not be in the room.
Decorate with care. As the holidays draw near, adding festive elements such as lights and other decorations is commonplace, but these electrical wires should always be checked thoroughly before use each year. Christmas tree fires are often caused by malfunctioning strings of lights, but by checking for frays and never leaving lights plugged in overnight, you can significantly reduce your risk.
If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.