What to do Immediately After a House Fire
- Ask whether it is safe to enter the home. Do not enter if the fire authorities deem it unsafe. They may establish a safety zone, but never assume a room is safe, until it has been cleared to enter.
- Know who to call.
- Contact family members and let them know you are safe, and unharmed.
- Contact your insurance agent. They will be able to talk you through the necessary steps, including proper documentation and emergency lodging and living expenses (keep all of your receipts!) The insurance company may assist in securing a company to help with clean up options.
- At this time you may request SERVPRO for contents cleaning, restoration etc. Contact SERVPRO of Van Nuys South.
- Another call may be to your landlord if applicable.
- Secure the property to prevent possible looting. SERVPRO of Van Nuys South is available to assist with securing property/ Board Ups.
- If water hoses were used to exterminate the fire, drying your home is critical. It is best to call the professionals at SERVPRO of Van Nuys South to do water/ fire cleanups. Water can lead to mold damage if not dried properly. SERVPRO of Van Nuys South is an approved restoration contractor for many major insurance carriers and adheres to the highest standards in the restoration industry.
- Seek counseling if needed. Children and adults can feel a traumatic sense of loss, and may need help to avoid a lasting sense of sadness and disorientation after a house fire. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. A house fire is a traumatic event and individuals need to be treated with respect and compassion by those close to the process of rebuilding.
For more information on contents and structural drying, extinguisher residue and soot removal call SERVPRO of Van Nuys South at (818) 780-7111.